Senior Software Engineer, Billing
Build the operating system for global trade
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform connecting all the parties in global trade – importers, exporters, trucking companies, ocean carriers, airlines, customs agencies, port terminals – through a single, secure cloud-based platform. On this platform we help the world's fastest-growing brands move goods between any two places on the planet. We give our customers access to better structured data about their supply chain than they have themselves, unlocking insights that are currently locked in PDFs: what you’ve shipped, what you paid for each individual item and what your costs are.
Our platform is built from the ground up, aggregating data from many different sources. We offer hundreds of different data points and our data model is constantly evolving as we continue to build the capabilities required to manage today’s complex global supply chains.
Flexport has billions of dollars flowing in and out of our marketplace in an industry that still relies primarily on documents and manual processes. Digitizing and then reconciling every dollar is a huge challenge that will unlock the next phase of hyper growth once solved. The Billing team is responsible for digitizing and scaling the invoice ingestion pipeline. This is a broad but critical area that touches every invoice coming to Flexport and includes the systems and data that enable API integrations, ML based OCR, manual data entry and payment processing. Our business has outgrown the existing systems and in the coming years we will build a best in class platform to enable Flexport’s vision of making global trade easy for everyone.
- Own the technical landscape for our billing platform and ensure the longevity of the solutions created by this team
- Design and architect data models and systems handling currencies, bills, and payments to ensure there is an accurate and up to date view of the financial results of the work we are doing for our clients
- Write and review code and be a role model for engineers at all levels on how software should be built
- Tackle difficult and subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
- Onboard and mentor engineers. We believe in structured onboarding and mentoring processes to ensure a smooth transition into the team and then continued development on the team.
You should have:
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering, preferably with a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Experience architecting and building complex, enterprise grade systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with React, Ruby, Java/Kotlin communicating via GraphQL and gRPC/Protobuf
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 116 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Many of us were once in your shoes.
Global trade is an infinitely fascinating but highly complex industry, where purchasing decisions are made every day rather than on an annually recurring basis. Don’t worry, you won’t need to become the world’s expert on ocean freight (we already hired that guy). We’ll look to you to apply your deep understanding of our key audiences, the funnel, and how to meet a digitally connected audience where they are.
It’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiencestogether with our industry veterans to help move this industry forward. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT & Security
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote
More About Flexport