Flexport is reinventing global trade.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission tomake global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year. With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with passionate and resourceful team members who are in it together.
The Trade and Regulatory Compliance group is focused on identifying, advising, and developing policies, protocols and procedures to detect and prevent the company from committing violations of laws in the countries in which we or our clients conduct business.
As our company grows, so do the regulatory requirements, complexities and risks. As our Claims Handler, you will join a critical group identified by the executive team to be one of our 3 “C”’s: Culture, Complexity and Compliance. Reporting into the Global Corporate Risk Manager you will ensure that Flexport’s liability has been identified, mitigated, and insured in a constantly evolving world and industry working alongside industry veterans with a can-do attitude.
The Compliance group is currently searching for an experienced claims professional to join our team. Due to the nature of the claims we receive, we welcome applicants that have relevant freight forwarding or logistics experience. Previous experience handling liability claims is highly preferred. [Highlight role and expectations - particularly related to cargo claims]
- Manage a portfolio of claims with high complexity and exposure, ensuring that all claims handling is conducted in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and other legal requirements, and that all applicable company procedures and policies are followed
- Investigate and resolve cargo legal liability claims, and other claim types as required, by evaluating coverage and/or liability and analyzing necessary information (e.g., contracts, policies, appraisals, releases, statements, reports or other documents)
- Consult with other teams internally and externally in order to assess the merits of claims as well as evaluate claims based on a cost benefit analysis
- Maintain a robust claims database, setting an appropriately high standard for others to follow in the management of all aspects of the claim
- Develop and implement an effective internal claims handling policy
- Write, execute, and improve standard claims handling procedures
- Work collaboratively with our legal team, brokers, and insurance carriers to negotiate the terms of a claim
- Timely and accurately establish claim reserves and authorize payments within prescribed limits; ensure issuance of disbursements while overseeing loss costs and expenses
- Assist business partners and operations in understanding claims management, including helping the end customer on their claim and handling any complaints associated with a claim
- Identify and escalate operational issues and patterns uncovered through recurring claim(s), claimant(s), and parties involved in an effective and efficient manner
- Report on large, high-risk claims with key leadership and other internal stakeholders
- Analyze claims activities and trends, including preparing reports for management
- Provide support in reading, interpreting, and providing guidance with customer contracts in regards to claim language
- Support and manage projects as required by the business
You should be able to:
- Manage multiple claims at a time while researching individual case histories, insurance types and claim details
- Exercise independent judgment and make critical business decisions effectively
- Convey more complex information (e.g, coverage, decisions, outcomes, negotiations) to all appropriate parties, maintaining a professional demeanor in all situations.
- Accurately calculate and justify Flexport’s legal liability, including identifying reasons why full claimed amounts may not be made
- Deliver excellent standards of customer service through high quality and efficient handling of claims, including handling customer queries in a professional and efficient manner
- Work under general discretion and within broad authority limits
- Make prompt and timely decisions
- Establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with internal and external professionals
- Embrace a ‘Coaching Culture’ and challenge the ‘Status Quo’ through our culture of continuous process improvement across the business
- Adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas
You should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 4+ years of professional experience, highly preferred in freight forwarding and/or the logistics industry
- Strong critical, analytical, and investigative skills
- Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills - you have the ability to effectively interact with all levels of Flexport’s internal and external business partners
- Excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills
- Exceptional administration and documentation skills - you are obsessed with keeping complete files and taking exhaustive notes so that anyone can pick up where you left off
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why we bring in people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with industry veterans to helpmove the logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT & Security
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote
More About Flexport