Senior Software Engineer, Revenue Systems
Senior Software Engineer, Revenue Systems
Help us set a new industry standard for accurate and timely invoicing
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving their products between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
Revenue systems team is responsible for building software solutions to manage all aspects of revenue recognition like invoicing clients and receiving payments, to enable efficient financial transactions across all Flexport business functions.
What You Will Do
- Responsible for a core part of our financial systems infrastructure: making sure that invoices are accurate and complete and that we get paid for them, understanding our shipment costs, creating visibility to any revenue leakage and generating actionable insights from transactional data.
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Geek out about finance, shipping, customs regulations, and logistics.
What You Will Build
- Build products that support the basic business functions necessary to understand profits and losses. Use technology to optimize, automate, provide insights, and create a customer experience that’ll give us an edge over our competitors.
- Building highly accurate and auditable financial systems that serve many different use cases is a complex architectural challenge.
- Workflow automation presents both technical and user experience challenges.
- Architect software solutions for the internal finance team, internal operations users, and customers. Also build APIs that are consumed by other engineering teams. We provide an infrastructure that is crucial to our business and we interact with all major business units. It’s a great place to learn how our company works.
- Invoice engineering is part of the broader marketplace org, which includes our internal marketplace, quoting, and billing teams. This organization handles how Flexport procures, prices, sells, and collects money for services.
You Should Have
- 6+ years of experience writing software, and strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java, Scala, and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, but we are currently migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent$1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it canhelp connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one withFlexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote