Senior Software Engineer, Billing Platform
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform connecting all the parties in global trade – importers, exporters, trucking companies, ocean carriers, airlines, customs agencies, port terminals – through a single, secure cloud-based platform. On this platform we help the world's fastest-growing brands moving goods between any two places on the planet. We give our customers access to better structured data about their supply chain than they have themselves, unlocking insights that are currently locked in PDFs: what you’ve shipped, what you paid for each individual item and what your costs are.
Our platform is built from the ground up, aggregating data from many different sources. We offer hundreds of different data points and our data model is constantly evolving as we continue to build the capabilities required to manage today’s complex global supply chains.
Flexport is a two sided marketplace that on the one hand sells services to our customers and on the other purchases services from our suppliers. This means that we have many billions of dollars flowing in and out of our marketplace in an industry that still relies almost exclusively on PDFs and manual processes. Digitizing and then reconciling every dollar is a huge challenge that will unlock the next phase of hyper growth once solved.
The Billing team is responsible for digitizing and scaling the invoice ingestion pipeline. This is a broad but critical area that touches every invoice coming to Flexport and includes the systems and data that enable API integrations, ML based OCR, manual data entry and payment processing. Our business has outgrown the existing systems and in the coming years we will build a best in class platform to enable Flexport’s vision of making global trade easy for everyone.
- Be responsible for a core part of our business infrastructure: making sure that bills are expected and accurate, understanding our shipment costs, and generating actionable insights from transaction data.
- Design and architect data models and systems handling currencies, costs and payments to ensure there is an accurate and up to date view of the financial costs of the work we are doing for our clients.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Write and review code and be a role model for engineers at all levels on how software should be built.
- Tackle difficult and subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
You should have:
- 6+ years of experience writing software, and strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with React, Kotlin, and Ruby communicating via Kinesis, GraphQL and gRPC/Protobuf
- A "compliance first" attitude to keep our regulators happy and enthusiastic about Flexport since we operate in a heavily regulated industry
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote