Senior Software Engineer, Forwarding Applications
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Forwarding Applications engineering
The Forwarding Applications team is responsible for building the software that freight forwarders use to move goods around the world. We study the work that people do in freight forwarding, develop software and processes to standardize it and make it more efficient, and ultimately automate much of it. We work with product, design, and data teams to solve problems of work allocation and optimization. High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Take point on complex product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others’ code with an eye to performance and maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision and roadmap
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software and a strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions zand people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote