Engineering Manager, Edge Services
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
About Edge Services:
The Edge Services team builds the external API to unify access for Flexport’s various applications and provide an easy, consistent, and efficient entry point. The API exposes a single GraphQL endpoint that expresses relationships between several discrete entities and provides a query language that allows selective and efficient data retrieval with a strongly typed schema focusing on documentation and discoverability. When building GraphQL gateway, some challenges include maintaining consistency and development velocity while also balancing dimensions like scalability and operability.
We are looking for an experienced engineering engineer to realize the vision for the edge API, help evolve our clients and APIs, and build the next generation of our edge infrastructure.
- Drive the future architecture of our graphQL gateway, collaborating with technical leaders across Flexport.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a group of talented engineers, and help them to progress in their careers.
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity.
- Create the engineering roadmap, and own the technical landscape for the systems at Flexport.
- Work closely with our business partners, other engineering teams, and the product manager to distill complex business problems into robust technical solutions.
You should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience writing software and strong engineering background
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of 5+ software engineers
- Proven track record of building large-scale complex distributed systems. A passion for diving into the nuts and bolts of how things work, and for building high-quality systems.
- Experience building inter-operable APIs for search, discovery, access, and attribution.
- A desire to build an inclusive and diverse culture
- Experience scaling products and teams in high-growth environments
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and others
Bonus if you have:
- Experience migrating large monolithic applications to service-oriented architecture
- Experience building multi-tenant platform API
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React + Next.js, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app into a Micro Services architecture, primarily on JVM languages (Java and Kotlin). Our data is persisted in the right store for the job, typically Postgresql or MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Kubernetes.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote