Senior Engineering Manager, Office of the CTO
Driving Tech Innovation to Make Global Trade Easy
Flexport is hiring a Senior Engineering Manager to build our new software incubator team within the Office of the CTO.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year. With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with passionate and resourceful team members who are in it together.
The Technology team’s vision is to build one platform to unite the world in a seamless web of global trade. Our team is a collaborative, global group of software engineers, product managers, data scientists, product designers, analytics engineers, technical program managers, security engineers, and more, focused on this mission. We hire people who are interested in a broad set of technical problems and ultimately making a huge impact in global logistics. Whether you’re interested in designing and building best in-class software applications, securing our customer and partner data, designing for amazing customer experiences, structuring complex datasets, or driving execution for our key programs, the Technology team has an opportunity for you to learn and help make global trade easy.
The Office of the CTO is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to grow and lead our new Technology incubator team. This group will solely focus on accelerating innovation and developing new concepts for applications powered by Flexport’s unique Global Trade Platform. Our Global Trade Platform is the foundation for Flexport applications, standardizing the language of global trade and providing fundamental building blocks for all developers (internal and external) to build applications for the world of supply chain and global logistics. Now we are ready to enter the next phase of Flexport’s Platform journey, by building products organically through targeted accelerator projects that showcase the power of the Platform through focused growth and user adoption.
You’ll manage a highly technical, product minded team of engineers and managers that work on Technology incubator applications that help make the world of global trade easy for everyone, through the power of Flexport’s Global Trade Platform. You will transform innovative ideas into working prototypes, driving experimentation and user growth. Many of these prototypes will evolve into applications that will transition to the broader Flexport Technology team where they will continue to mature into deliverable scaled products. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-based environment with a zero-to-one mindset, and is able to manage multiple projects in various stages of incubation.
- Grow and manage a team of engineers and product managers through organic growth and creative resourcing
- Work as an independent arm of a global multi-functional technology organization to drive innovation and incubator projects
- Provide technical and product leadership through the full incubation lifecycle, from ideation to prototyping to MVP
- Define clear success metrics to evaluate project outcomes objectively through the lens of user adoption and product led growth
- Work closely with the Global Trade Platform engineering and product teams as Customer Zero, the first and best customer of our own Platform to accelerate product innovation and influence product requirements
- Inspire your team to deliver innovative solutions with a fail fast and learn fast attitude and zero-to-1 mindset
- Act as a technical evangelist and reference customer for the Global Trade Platform, creating new applications that exemplify how Flexport tech disrupts the world of global trade as we know it today
- Bring at least 5+ years of experience managing highly productive teams of 10+ engineers and managers
- Have experience with accelerating innovation through a balanced use of full time and contractor employees, including overseeing the end-to-end contractor lifecycle
- Be invigorated by mentoring and growing managers and engineers
- Work with a high level of autonomy and responsibility for your team, but are skilled to influence and partner with adjacent teams
- Have experience building applications across the full lifecycle, from inception to prototype to MVP and beyond
- Have experience working in a startup-like environment, with rapid experimentation and idea turnover in the search for product market fit.
- Enjoy and take ownership of recruiting diverse team members, who thrive on solving real world problems in a fail fast learn fast environment
- Hold a product-first approach to building software and you care about the real-world functionality of your programming
- Display strong written and verbal communication skills
Engineering Culture and Values:
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it canhelp connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one withFlexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote