Senior Data Governance Manager
We are reinventing global trade.
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include the SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, Google Ventures and Y Combinator.
With offices and infrastructure on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with passionate and resourceful team members.
We are looking for a bright, passionate and dedicated individual to join our Security Compliance team in building out Flexport’s Data Governance program. This position will include working closely with Security, Privacy, Operations, Data Analytics, Engineering, and Executive Management. Key responsibilities include implementing and owning a security and privacy first data governance capability to ensure Flexport has high quality information for making management decisions, enabling corporate strategies and meeting regulatory expectations.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the Data Security Governance (DSG) program through the design, build, and maintenance of Flexports Data Management Program.
- Oversee, implement, and enforce a Data Governance Framework, Policies, Standards and Controls.
- Be accountable for managing and supporting the Data Management Program from a Security perspective.
- Build a DSG roadmap and provide regular reporting on Data Governance metrics and activities.
- Draft, publish, and maintain DSG Documents and Security Policies which may include:
- DSG Charter
- Data Ownership Processes
- Data Classification Policies and Standards
- Data Retention Schedule
- Data Handling Standard
- Identify, define, and manage Data Domains and Elements, including the business and technical definitions, metadata and source of truth, and ensuring its full inclusion in the Data Governance tools and workflows.
- Work with Data Owners throughout the enterprise to define Data Security Requirements for the data under their control
- Monitor ongoing compliance with the governance program to demonstrate adherence to the Data Governance Framework.
- Enforce compliance designed to meet international data security standards
- Integrate Data Security Governance into Flexport’s software product roadmap to make it simple for Flexport customers to understand and control what data is collected and easily manage who has access to that data and for what purpose. The product you’ll help build will make data discovery, access and use – simple, compliant and trustworthy
- Provide continual support to the Analytics and Engineering teams in the execution of key projects.
- Promote a security minded Data Governance culture throughout the organization and help manage data as an asset and minimize data risk; effectively motivate people, foster accountability and demonstrate the value of data across a wide range of individuals including engineers, data analysts, executives, business operations teams, customers, regulators, etc.
What you'll bring:
- End to end knowledge and experience implementing a Data Security Governance Program.
- 8+ years of relevant experience in managing Data Governance programs with a focus on Security.
- Mandatory experience and working knowledge of the following data management tools or similar:
- Strong understanding of the intersection between business, analytics, engineering, and regulatory environments resulting in a proactive approach, focusing on reusable solutions, to improve efficiency and time to insight while minimizing data risk.
- In-depth knowledge of information security audit, risk management and policy compliance
- Understanding of enterprise cloud infrastructure and data platforms and software development and delivery practices.
- Understanding of one or more industry and/or compliance regulations – PCI-DSS, HIPAA, ISO 27001, FedRAMP, SOC1/2, International Privacy requirements (Europe, EU Privacy, PAC Rim including Privacy Shield), preferred. Flexport’s Security Program is ISO 27001 based.
- Business professional presentation skills necessary to understand, communicate with, and persuade, a wide range of audiences, including Senior Leadership.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills which must be at a college level or higher.
- The ability to travel globally, including China and Netherlands, is a firm requirement.
- Familiarity with the CMMI Institute Data Management Maturity (DMM) Framework is a plus.
- Familiarity with the freight forwarding/global trade industry is a plus.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote