Visibility Operations Manager
Help us build and run what will bethe world’s best solution for answering the questions “where’s my stuff?” and “when will it get here?”
Flexport is on a mission to fix the user experience in Global Trade. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet. At the center of Flexport’s many services lies the Visibility product.
The Visibility product’s mission is to deliver universal visibility of our client’s freight across all transportation modes (Ocean, Air, Rail, Truck, Barge, etc.) with unmatched accuracy and reliability. Our product powers nearly everything Flexport does, serving as the underlying utility for our business. But because of the siloed and inconsistent data that pervades the freight industry, accomplishing our mission is no simple thing. We are constantly searching for better ways to get the data our clients need so they always know the status and location of their shipments.
The Visibility Operations team is a critical lynch pin in helping us accomplish that mission and keep delighting our customers. As the team’s manager, you’ll be leading our team of operators who work tirelessly to do just that. This role will work in a cross-functional environment, partnering closely with the software product, engineering, program management, and other operations teams across the company to achieve our goals. You’ll get substantial leadership exposure, focus on the highest priority business issues, and be plugged into critical business functions. If you’re the kind of person that says “put me in coach, I want the ball”, this is your kind of role.
What you'll do:
- Build and run the ~70 person Visibility Operations team
- Own end-to-end process architecture, data analysis, workflow-tool-creation, maintenance and KPIs management.
- Be responsible for eliminating wasteful and redundant tasks done by the team which are caused by lack of coordination with other Ops teams and with automation
- Provide leadership and direction to the team, including hiring and training
- Closely partner with the Visibility Product team to ensure they build your team world-class software that optimizes how they work
- Design, audit and continuously improve team SOPs for new process; Continuously identify gaps where automation fails and develop solutions to fill those gaps with your team
What you'll need:
- Dive Deep skills. You must be naturally curious and want to understand how Flexport’s software functions. You must know the “5 Why” framework or similar paradigms. You happily get your hands dirty and sweat details to find root causes.
- Leadership experience, whether through direct management, mentorship, or projects is required. You will have a large team and must be comfortable managing them
- Relentlessly data-driven and highly data literate - the Visibility team’s product is data and you will be expected to eat, drink, and breathe it. You must care (better yet, enjoy!) knowing the definition of metrics, how they get measured, the nuances in what they fail to capture, and more. BI tools and SQL are your friends, not just a tool of the job.
- Bias for Action: Once you’ve dived deep through data to find key insights, you build a plan and go on the offense to drive improvements. You’re not someone who needs things spelled out for them or is uncomfortable with ambiguity.
- Proven ability to design workflows and implement them at scale, including SOP creation, workflow tool creation, training and troubleshooting
- Able to coach employees to achieve results; needs to be able to have patience in seeing the success of your employees
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Next-level attention to detail and follow-through.
- Proven ability to thrive in a multicultural environment, and deeply understand differences of doing business in different regions
Flexport believes global trade can move the human race forward. Our mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. To achieve this, we’re building the “Operating System for Global trade” — a combination of modern, internet era technology & data analytics; logistics infrastructure; and supply chain expertise.
Flexport connects~10k clients and suppliers across >100 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Founded in 2013, we've raised >$1.3B from SoftBank, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and YC. We’re excited to start seriously scaling up afterour recent $1B investment from SoftBank’s Vision Fund early this year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it canhelp connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one withFlexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote