Staff Software Engineer, Foundational Services
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully managed service for moving their products between any two places on the planet.
At Flexport, you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating a new operating system for international trade.
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Flexport is seeking engineers to join our foundational services team to build out the next generation of platform services. The Foundational Services team at Flexport is responsible for building common technology offerings that the rest of the organization builds upon.
Here's why the Foundational Services are critical to Flexport's success:
- We're rebuilding our core platform with the fundamental building blocks to power all Flexport applications - Think standard services for distributed joins, graph-based access control, and automated document-data extraction.
- Our systems are Tier-1 - They need to be highly available and performant.
- Our systems need to be configurable, self-service, and future-proof - We need to build for future Flexport applications that we haven't discovered yet.
What you will build and operate:
- Identity services that are the sources of truth for user identity, profile data, and user groups.
- Authentication systems that support standard authentication protocols like Open ID Connect and SAML.
- Authorization system that includes a low-latency highly reliable service for large-scale, fine-grained authorization using Relationship-Based Access control and Role-Based Access Control.
- Public-facing gateway services that are responsible for routing, rate-limiting, and federation
- Own and deliver projects end-to-end while collaborating with a diverse group of cross-functional team members. We often work on multi-week projects that require phased rollouts and coordination with multiple stakeholders.
- Design and build backend systems with composability, configurability, and scale in mind.
- Engage in conversations with other engineering teams, gathering requirements that inform the roadmap. We believe in delivering quality customer service by being highly responsive on our support channels, listening to feedback, and evangelizing our products.
- Tackle difficult and subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
You should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- You have 10+ years of experience writing software and strong engineering background.
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for our users.
- Experience with scalable distributed systems, both built from scratch as well as on AWS primitives
- Ability to debug complex systems
Bonus if you have:
- Experience migrating large monolithic applications to service-oriented architecture
- Experience building services using Java, Spring boot, and gRPC.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote