Director, Supply Chain Operations
The role of the Supply Chain Operations Director is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our account management and customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals and trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to hire, train, and develop a team of motivated operations managers: designing and building the new model of operations at Flexport while strategically leading your team through the complex world of logistics. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class operating team designed to catapult Flexport to realizing its mission. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We are looking for best-in-class leadership that can articulate a clear vision and excite teams to execute it day in and day out.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network including Air and LCL imports and exports.
- You will hire, coach and develop an organization of 4-5 managers and 40-60 individual contributors responsible for the end-to-end movement of consolidated freight or ocean freight shipments within a gateway.
- You will design strategic operational processes and infrastructure to ensure Flexport executes quality service delivery on-time, efficiently, cost-effectively and most importantly creates a world-class customer experience.
- You will be responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will personally represent Flexport’s value proposition by recommending supply chain solutions for new clients and opportunities to the account management team.
- You will guard the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: problem-solving quick wins to address market conditions, new product launches or client escalations.
- You will assist in the development of and manage business plans, resources and budgets for gateway teams, enabling your team to scale with Flexport’s growth.
- You will allow Flexport to decouple scale and headcount. Leverage data and work with the product team to design software to establish the best processes and controls for all parts of the shipment lifecycle
- You will work cross with global management to design the right metrics that empower your gateway team to deliver great performance
- You will collaborate cross-functionally with internal stakeholders, including our Operational Excellence team to evolve our processes and technology and navigate your team through any change management and adoption.
- You will provide leadership and direction to a high-performing team of managers and individual contributors, including hiring, training, and career development
- You will empower your team to prioritize and align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth and maintain high on-the-job motivation.
You should have:
- BA/BS degree and 10+ years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, or consulting (ocean freight knowledge is a plus)
- 10+ years of experience managing managers of teams and direct reports preferred
- MA/MS degree in a business or logistics oriented field is a plus
- Experience building high performance teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead large teams in day-to-day execution and process improvement, including leading managers
- Demonstrated ability building and implementing cross-functional, complex processes ● Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excitement to manage relations and create a best-in-class operational structure ● Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinker with strong problem-solving capabilities ● Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client and squad happiness
- A mastery of internal and external communication
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The desire to lead, train and develop up and coming industry talent
- Experience managing the end-to-end customer lifecycle and working with sales teams to understand and cater to the customer experience and lifecycle
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Software Entwicklung
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote