Help fix the user experience in global trade
The role of the Senior Manager, Regional Gateway Operations is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to oversee and enable a team of motivated operations experts as a leader of leaders, strategically leading them through the complex world of freight forwarding. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class regional operating team. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal, leadership that spans the organization and not just your immediate team. We also understand that great leaders have to learn how to balance tactical and adaptive responsibilities. A leader who is too tactical will squelch the creativity and motivation of their teams. A leader who is too adaptive will create a lot of wasted time and effort, which will also squelch the motivation of their teams. Your job as a leader is to create balance for those you manage.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network for air consolidation products, import and export.
- You will hire, coach and develop a growing team of 30+ staff, responsible for the end-to-end movement of consolidated air freight shipments within a regional network (both imports and exports), including intermodal movements. You will prioritize the career progression of your team and build in the right dynamics for success of both the individuals and the group.
- You will guard the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: the right processes and metrics are in place for shipments to move “on-time” and exceptions are resolved quickly and appropriately. You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery.
- You will pilot, test and roll out new process and product initiatives, ensuring standardization and efficiency gains are achieved across all regional teams in line with our OKRs.
- You will work with gateway and regional management to ensure the right metrics and data are in place to empower your regional team to deliver great performance.
- You will be responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will help design and implement operational infrastructure and procedures in the team you oversee while constantly identifying and executing on opportunities to realize optimal efficiency and productivity.
- You will empower your team to prioritize and align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth and maintain high on-the-job motivation.
- You will support the gateway leadership and regional management to build a growth plan for your own sub-region / gateway.
- You will build trusting relationships and strive for high satisfaction levels from the clients, shippers, and internal stakeholders such the Client Solutions Team. You will work with Account Management to design and iterate on effective feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- You will act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, including product & engineering and the operations excellence team on supply chain operations and your regional gateway strategy.
You should have:
- Bachelor degree, MBA is a plus
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, airlines, ocean carrier operations, in a high growth organization. At least 5 years as a people manager.
- A strong belief in Flexport’s mission and values, desire to change the world of freight.
- Track record of building and managing freight operations in Hong Kong/Asia. Experience across multiple Asian countries is an asset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Fluent in Chinese (Mandarin) preferred, good command of spoken and written English (required).
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams in day-to-day execution and continuous process improvement not only for your own team but also at a broader organizational level
- Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinker with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client happiness, internally and externally.
- The desire to lead, train and develop up and coming industry talent
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.