At Flexport, global trade is powered by data -- data that equips our clients with best-in-class visibility into their supply chains and helps them run their businesses effectively.
As an Ocean Trade Lane Manager, you will be the leader responsible for growing and building processes for your book of business and respective trade lane. You’ll need to be multidimensional and able to work with stakeholders throughout the Ocean team and company to deliver results, including sales, operations, product, and finance. You’ll need to be the leader and manager of your team to grow team members and build sustainable and effective practices.
- Be an Ocean leader, contribute and lead setting of team OKRs, setting project priorities, and coordination with other internal stakeholders
- Design practices, processes and procedures that allow team to execute efficiently
- People management responsibilities for all respective procurement team members, including performance evaluation, and supporting growth and development of team members
- Demonstrate an ability to project plan and develop people into roles, while taking into consideration both Flexport priorities and strengths/interests of team members
Create and promote the best solutions for Flexport customers
- Fully own the end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting, and implementation cycles for your geography
- Acquire and maintain a deep understanding of best-in-class market offerings and customer requirements for your geography
- Think outside-the-box to create innovative solutions to satisfy current customers and to promote acquisition new customers in your geography
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to procure and set business up for operational success and provide exceptional service for Flexport FCL clients
Partner with Client Solutions & Sales to provide enablement and support for effective selling of those solutions
- Communicate Ocean strategy and market to Flexport stakeholders, work consultatively with OM’s and AE’s to inform and set Ocean strategy
- Constantly provide market insights and empower Client Solutions to sell out of your geography
- Be the default subject-matter-expert partner for Client Solutions & the broader Demand organization to jointly drive go-to-market commercial strategy
- Be vigilant of market conditions and provide monthly and quarterly updates, as well as overall market trends to sales teams via regular conference calls or in-person meetings; help prepare sales collateral and business reviews
- Represent Ocean Trade Lane Management in leadership meetings internally and represent Flexport at industry conferences externally when required
- Frequently join sales calls and client visits to sell Flexport’s ocean product while providing valuable market expertise
Drive growth and profitability
- Drive the volume and net revenue growth targets for the region and own the implementation of global financial plans and strategies
- Consult with Client Solutions to price fairly and competitively and avoid revenue leakage/missed charges
- Ensure our Ocean rates are competitive to close valuable business for Flexport.. Negotiate directly with carriers, file contracts with carriers, and negotiate rates to sign carrier contracts with appropriate sub-provisions.
- Work with the Fulfillment/Partners teams to ensure appropriate allocation is considered when implementing opportunities to provide smooth business onboarding and prevent financial leakage.
Lead the procurement strategy to deliver excellent service at the lowest cost
- Work closely to onboard and strategically work with all of the major ocean carriers servicing target regions in order to procure competitive rates and capacity to support Flexport’s growth strategy
- Use scale of global Trade Lanes & relationships to systematically drive down our procurement costs while delivering excellent service quality
Manage external vendor relationships
- Monitor and drive ocean carrier satisfaction & ensure we are quality partners for the carriers while holding carriers accountable to the service and allocation they are honoring to Flexport.
- Assess carrier performance and drive performance improvements
You should have:
- Requires at least 5 year of related experience. Bachelor's degree required or equivalent years relevant work experience in procurement, supply chain, analysis or operations
- Team management experience
- Knowledge of product and technology within the industry
- Experience with regards to imports and/or exports from a sales, operational or procurement perspective.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with vendors
- Analytical skills and metric / data based approach to solving problems
- Strong analytical background and knowledge of analytical tools (Excel, etc)
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.