Help Flexport fix the user experience in global trade!
As a Senior Network Trade Lane Manager, you operate with a very high level of expertise and impact, both internally and externally. You demonstrate a consistent mastery of all responsibilities of the Trade Lane Manager and have a proven track record of success in collaborating successfully across multiple areas of the company (ie Sales, Demand, Finance), and growing a book of business.
You are a Network expert and able to navigate internal and external environments to deliver on regional and global objectives. This role is a level-up with the expectation to tackle more complex and broader markets that have broader impacts. improvement.
Own the trade lane and be responsible for the geography’s growth and profitability
- Set the trade lane’s strategy, objectives, and, in conjunction with Demand teams, targets to develop the trade and grow the business
- Define a clear direction and vision for the region
- With the Senior Director of the region, set the quarterly and annual OKRs; communicate to stakeholders the progress in achieving those, including plans to overcome obstacles
Create and promote the best end-to-end solutions for Flexport customers
- Fully own the end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting, and implementation cycles for your geography
- Acquire and maintain a deep understanding of best-in-class market offerings and customer requirements for your geography; as the subject-matter-expert, share this knowledge with Senior Associates
- Think outside-the-box to create innovative solutions to satisfy current customers and to promote acquisition new customers in your geography
Partner with Client Solutions & Sales to provide enablement and support for effective selling of those solutions
- Constantly provide market insights and empower Client Solutions to sell out of your geography
- Proactively share material, strategies, or connections to generate sales leads; wear the hat of business development
- Be the default subject-matter-expert partner for Client Solutions & the broader Demand organization to jointly drive go-to-market commercial strategy
- Be vigilant of market conditions and provide monthly and quarterly updates, as well as overall market trends to sales teams via regular conference calls or in-person meetings; help prepare sales collateral and business reviews
- Represent Network Trade Lane Management in leadership meetings internally and represent Flexport at industry conferences externally when required
- Participate in sales call/visits to provide expert input on our Ocean capabilities
Drive growth and profitability of the trade, including business development
- Refine the trade lane’s procurement strategy to deliver excellent service at the lowest cost
- Improve volume and net revenue growth through smart and effective procurement; own the implementation of global financial plans and strategies
- Consult with Client Solutions to price fairly and competitively and avoid revenue leakage/missed charges
- Work with Network Operations Team to monitor fulfillment of our BSAs & charter capacity to ensure it is filled to the maximum at profitable rates
- Act as a tactical control tower regarding space and capacity - find solutions to redistribute where needed, procure additional capacity where needed, or support other Trade Lane Managers with space challenges
Manage and deepen external vendor relationships, in conjunction with Partners’ Team
- Work closely with all of the major ocean carriers operating into and out of the trade lane to procure competitive rates and capacity to support Flexport’s growth strategy
- Nurture and grow local ocean relationships
- Monitor and drive ocean satisfaction & ensure we are quality partners for the ocean carriers and that carriers are providing the services purchased
- Assess ocean performance and drive performance improvements
- With the Partners Team, define the partner strategy in the region and ensure there is coverage in regions where Flexport may not have its own infrastructure
You should have:
- BA/BS degree and 7+ years of experience at a freight forwarder or in a similar field
- Deep market knowledge and expertise with respect to imports and/or exports from a sales, operational, and procurement perspective. Awareness of the competition and how to establish a Flexport-unique approach to the market.
- A strategic vision of building a differentiated ocean product and the willingness to be operational at the ground-floor when need be
- Inclination to think-outside-the-box to always find a better solution or alternative, while remaining grounded in numbers and metrics
- Desire to “build a better machine” and get irritated when things aren’t optimal
- Excitement to manage vendor relations and create best-in-class, innovative structures to do so
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- A client service mindset; you are obsessed with client and squad happiness
Why join Flexport?
Investing your time with Flexport means keeping pace with a rapidly growing business, learning new skills, and seeking opportunities to think from end to end. We appreciate your contributions to making Flexport an amazing place to work and we encourage upwards or lateral movement and transfers that align with current business needs and help Flexport deliver on its mission and unlock the potential in our team members.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.