Make global trade easy for everyone.
The Flexport Design team creates the end-to-end user experiences for our external clients, our internal operations teams, and our service partners such as airlines, ocean carriers, and trucking companies. As an integral part of the internal and external business, user experience is at the forefront of everything we do. User Researchers are key stakeholders in the product development lifecycle, from collaborating with cross-functional partners and formulating the product vision to ensuring high-quality implementation.
User researchers are embedded within product teams but the UX team comes together throughout the week for critique in order to elevate the standard of design across products. To be successful, User Researchers must be relentlessly curious, methodical, communicate clearly, and consistently balance user and business needs.
We are looking for a strong and highly motivated intern to join our team for Summer 2020 and help realize our mission of making global trade easy for everyone.
- Establish domain knowledge and empathy for end users in a specific product area
- Collaborate with cross-functional team to identify research opportunities and manage a research priorities
- Plan the research strategy, using appropriate methodologies to achieve product goals
- Conduct a variety of user research activities, including surveys, field research, analogous research, co-creation, diary studies, usability testing (remote and in-person), etc.
- Learn to incorporate quantitative data and qualitative research findings into actionable insights
- Contribute to keep the team focused on the users throughout the product development lifecycle
- Be part of a close-knit design team
You should have:
- Be enrolled and pursuing a bachelors degree in Computer Science, Human Interaction or related field
- Dedication to learning from users and knowledge of user research methods.
- Knowledge of most aspects of research (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, storytelling)
- Good communication, presentation, social, and analytical skills
- Ability to apply research insights to creative design solutions
- Pursuing an MS or MA in Human-Computer Interaction, Statistics, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology or related field.
- A minimum of twelve weeks of full-time availability—this internship has a start date in May/June 2021
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team building activities to get you familiarized with both your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.