Portfolio Lead, Flexport Capital
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Each of these customers faces significant working capital burdens that hamper their ability to grow their businesses. Over the past two years, Flexport Capital has provided over $200 million in loans to Flexport customers to address these needs, and we’re just getting started. As a start-up within a start-up, we are growing while building the foundations for long-term success, and having fun while doing it.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, customer-focused, and data-driven individual to join our tight-knit team. They will own performance, growth and analytics for a loan portfolio and serve as a financial consultant to Flexport clients. Due to the early-stage nature of the Flexport Capital business, they will also have a key role leading and executing cross-functional strategic projects related to new products and business strategy. The ideal candidate will be excited to roll up their sleeves and fill the gap where needed, while being bold enough to initiate change and have the candor to speak their minds to help drive innovation in the exciting world of trade finance.
What you’ll do
- Engage customers, as well as Flexport teams in Sales, Client Solutions and Trade & Financial Services to attach financial products to customer supply chains
- Build pipeline from new and existing customers in your region; support Sales and Client Solutions teams to propose, quote and execute lending opportunities
- Develop executive-level relationships with customers, gather customer feedback, and improve account performance
- Professionally navigate difficult customer conversations, including facility reductions, wind-downs and collections/default situations
- Frequently engage Flexport’s Client Solutions and Sales stakeholders to provide regular updates on customer financial performance, loan performance and risks/opportunities
Reporting & Analytics
- Own account-level planning and forecasting for a portfolio of Flexport Capital clients
- Monitor portfolio risk and return metrics, shipment data, invoicing activity and customer financials, and develop recommendations to improve risk-adjusted returns
- Track account-level investment performance and surface weaknesses and opportunities to Credit and Sales stakeholders, respectively
Strategy & Operations
- Monitor and oversee lending operations and service delivery of loan products
- Operationalize new products and services
- Drive improvements to operational processes and liaise with Finance, Legal, Compliance, Sales, and Client Solutions stakeholders to implement improvements and gather feedback
- Support strategic projects including product, sales and external financing partnerships
What you'll need
- 5+ years work experience in corporate banking, investment banking, management consulting, private equity/venture capital OR a business operations, strategy or finance role at a fintech, consumer/retail or logistics/supply chain company
- Competitive and creative drive to win over customers and internal stakeholders.
- Proven success building and maintaining long-term commercial relationships.
- Ability to lead cross-functional initiatives and collaborate across business lines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience presenting to C-level executives.
- Strong familiarity with financial statements and working capital needs.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- BA/BS required; undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business, Economics, or Finance strongly preferred. MBA is a plus.
- Strong technical skills – Excel and SQL are a plus.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Listen to Ryan, our CEO explain what freight forwarding is and why improving global trade can help to connect the world and break down economic barriers in this Fast Company Freethink Original Series video.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
Investing your time with Flexport means having an immediate impact, all over the world. You’re empowered to do what’s best for everyone and trusted to make the right decisions when and where you need them. Join our collective of entrepreneurs and improve the world’s experience in global trade.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.