Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The Chief of Staff (CoS) for Makers is the ‘right hand’ to Flexport’s Chief Technology Officer, working behind the scenes to improve operational efficiency, solve problems, make decisions and manage organizational issues before they need to come to the attention of the Executive. The CoS extends their Executive’s influence and reach, and acts as a confidante and advisor, often serving as a sounding board for ideas. Executives lean on their CoS to troubleshoot and handle the daily needs of the organization, which allows the Executive to focus their efforts on developing new strategies. The CoS is also responsible for developing a strong sense of culture and community within the organization. As a trusted advisor, the CoS achieves gains in productivity and impact by freeing up the exec's schedule to spend time on what matters most.
As the Chief of Staff, you will:
- Embody the role of a trusted, strategic business partner to the CTO
- Work with CTO and other executives to better define, transform, and execute our top management processes as we scale the organization
- Lead key initiatives around purpose, talent, decision making, priorities, community and communications to help our CTO nurture, transform and scale our culture
- Be a trusted partner to the CTO who can fill in as necessary in meetings, synthesizing information and feedback for quick decision making
- Develop accountability processes to ensure leaders and their teams are executing on key priorities across the organization.
- Hire and manage a core business operations team to identify, develop, and execute against strategic challenges and opportunities across the organization
- Coordinate with the leaders of Flexport’s diverse range of business operations, program management, strategic finance, and operations excellence teams to coordinate activities and provide load balance resources across the 400-person organization
You should have:
- Experience in business operations, product management, and/or engineering role at a well-established technology company
- Track-record for attracting, organizing and developing high performing teams
- Exceptional project and program management abilities with a history of driving results on key initiatives across departments
- World-class written and verbal communications skills including demonstrated capabilities in public speaking
- High comfort in working under pressured, time-sensitive, and rapidly evolving situations
- Can-do, roll-up-the-sleeves, results-oriented approach; accessible and approachable
- Strategic thinker and disciplined planner; able to operationalize strategic plans; well organized
- Self-motivated, high-energy to sustain success in a fast-paced environment
- Highly collaborative; track record of building strong relationships
- High integrity and ethics
- 2+ years of consulting experience in a top-tier global consulting firm preferred
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.